While I was away from home traveling to Belize, and having a great time with family. I couldn’t help but have the thought in the back of my mind on whether my home was safe while I was away traveling. And that is completely normal, especially when everyone does a little too much in the oversharing department on social media. And that leaves you open to the attention of the unwanted kind by people who want to make your home a little emptier.
Well, I have tips on keeping your home safe in the big city while you are off gallivanting on your great escape. These aren’t all the tips because I am sure that I have forgotten something but, that is where you come in to remind me and make me better, in the comments. So let’s get to it:
- Please keep your trips dates off of social media until you come back. It’s really not necessary to broadcast that information that a thief can get to and you will find your home ransacked when you returned with your killer tan. You can tell everyone all the details when you return and that means not posting pictures and videos the same day on Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Have the post office hold your mail until you return. I did this and it is very simple. You can get the form at your local post office and tell them to continue delivering mail after your return. This also includes package deliveries.That way it doesn’t pile up on your doorstep tipping off thieves, who are always patrolling neighborhoods for neglected properties, especially during summer vacation months.
- Tell a trusted neighbor that you will be away, and to keep their eyes open for anything suspicious that may happen on your property while you are away. And if possible, leave your number with them if there is a real emergency at your home.
- Use timers for your lights and appliances while you are away to give the impression that you are home in the case that you were already being watched by thieves.
- And most importantly, when you know that you have a lot to lose in precious valuables in your home, invest in a good security system to make sure that you have nothing to worry about if these other tips fail you.
If you would like some more helpful tips to keep you worry free, I have added this info pic below. So do you prepare before going away? What are some good tricks that you have used to keep your home safe while you are traveling? I’d love to read all about them below in the comments.
Until our next rendezvous…