Children are a blessing, but every new mother has to deal with post-baby hormones, pain, and discomfort – oh, and she has a new baby to look after while feeling like she’s been hit by a truck. If you have a friend or relative that has just had a baby, you’re going to want to shower her in gifts for the baby – but what about her?
A new mother needs to feel like she still has an identity among her friends, and you can ensure that this is the case. So, with that in mind, we’ve got some exciting gifts that you can think about giving to her. A new mom needs to feel appreciated – she’s overwhelmed enough as it is.
- Food – Any Food. A brand new mother needs to keep her strength up, and the best way to do that is with food. Whether you cook meals for her freezer or you gift turkeys and hams for her, you can feed your friend and she will love you forever. New mothers – especially breastfeeding mothers – need to be looked after and food is the best thing to give to ensure that this is the case.
- Massage. After hours and hours of labor, your friend is going to be exhausted. She’s now required to survive on three hours of sleep per night and look after a baby 24/7. Gifting her a massage at a nearby spa can really help. It will help her to relax and allow her to feel calm enough to sleep as much as possible. Paying for a massage will be a gesture she won’t forget.
- Your Time. Being there for your friend and showing up for her is so important. Simple things like being in the house with the baby so she can shower, offering your time to cook her a meal at home, or wash their clothes – these small gestures can mean so much to your friend and her new baby. Offering your time can be a big gift for your friend and it can help you to really give a perfect gift they need at a vulnerable time.
- Beauty Products. Skin and hair changes after a baby is born and if you’re unsure of products that your friend will need, gift her a facial with a local salon. They can professionally assess her skin type and offer her the right products to help. She can feel refreshed and beautiful and this will make her feel ready to take on the task of motherhood.
- A Night Out. A brand new mother is likely to not want to go out with her friends, but write her an invitation to a night out. It doesn’t have to be a heavy night on the town, but a night watching a movie or having dinner together can get her out of the house and make her remember she is more than a mother – she’s a three-dimensional woman, not just a mom.
What gifts would you choose for a new mother in your social circle? What gifts have you had success with? Did I forget anything? Tell me about it in the comments below.
Until our next rendezvous…